They were much disappointed, when the year 1666 had passed without any remarkable event, but flattered themselves that the Christian era might be erroneous. Their lives were miserable and constant burdens. They complain of being banished from all human society. A letter from Goffe's wife, who was Whalley's daughter, I think worth preserving. After the second year, Goffe writes by the name of Walter Goldsmith and she of Frances Goldsmith, and the correspondence is carried on as between a mother and son. There is too much religion in their letters for the tastes of present day; but the distresses of two persons, under there peculiar circumstances, who appear to have lived very happily together, are very strongly described.
Whilst they were at Hadley, February 10, 1664-5, Dixwell, another of the Judges, came to them; but from whence, or in what part of America he first landed, is not know. The first mention of him in their journal, is by the name of Colonel Dixwell; but ever after they call him Mr. Davids. He continued at Hadley some years, and removed to New Haven. He was generally supposed to be one of those who were obnoxious in England; but he never discovered who he was, until he was on his death-bed. I have one of his letters, signed James Davids, dated, March 23, 1683. He married at New Haven, and left several children. After his death, his son, who before had been called Davids, took the name of Dixwell, came to Boston, and lived in good repute; was a ruling elder of one of the churches there, and died in 1725, of the small pox by innoculation. Some of his grandchildren are now living. Colonel Dixwell was buried in New-Haven. His grave stone still remains with this inscription,--"J.D. Esq., deceased March 18th in the 82d year of his age, 1688."
It cannot be denied, that many of the principal persons in the colony greatly esteemed these persons for their professions of piety, and their grave deportment, who did not approve of their political conduct. Mr. Mitchel, the minister of Cambridge, who showed them great friendship upon their first arrival, says in a manuscript which he wrote in his own vindication;
"Since I have had opportunity, by reading and discourse, to look a little into that action for which these men suffer, I could never see that it was justifiable."
After they were declared traitors, they certainly would have been sent to England, if they could have been taken. It was generally thought they had left the country; and even the consequence of their escape was dreaded, lest when they were taken, those who had harbored them should suffer for it. Mr. Endicot, the Governor, writes to the Earl of Manchester, that he supposes they went towards the Dutch at Manhados, and took shipping for Holland; and Mr. Bradstreet, then Governor, in December 1684, writes to Edward Randolph, "that after their being at New-Haven, he could never hear what became of them." Randolph who was sent to search into the secrets of the government, could obtain no more knowledge of them than that they had been in the country, and respect had been shown them by some magistrates. I am loth to omit an anecdote handed down through Governor Leverett's family. I find Goffe takes notice in his journal of Leverett's being at Hadley.
The town of Hadley was alarmed by the Indians in 1675, in the time of public worship, and the people were in the utmost confusion. Suddenly, a grave elderly person appeared in the midst of them. In his mien and dress he differed from the rest of the people. He not only encouraged them to defend themselves, but put himself at their head, rallied, instructed, and led them on to encounter the enemy, who by this means were repulsed. As suddenly the deliverer of Hadley disappeared. The people were left in consternation, utterly unable to account for this strange phenonemon. It is not probable they were ever able to explain it. If Goffe had been then discovered, it must have come to the knowledge of these persons, who declared by their letters that they never knew what became of him.
Gen. Whalley died about the year 1678, and Gen. Goffe the year following.
It has been claimed that John Goffe of Londonderry was a grandson of Gen. Goffe, but this is altogether improbable. The connection, if any, must have been collateral. True, Gen. Goffe had one or more sons, but there is no evidence showing that a son of his was ever in this country. Unerring circumstances show to the contrary.
The retreat of the father was well known to his family, certainly to his wife, and as the utmost pains had been taken to apprehend him on the part of the royalists, it is not at all probable that his son would have been permitted to come to this country, openly bearing his father's name, and almost in daily contact with those who would have been glad to have destroyed the regicide, lest the presence of the son should have led to the apprehension of the father. And it is not at all probable that either of his children came to this country; on the contrary, it is evident from a letter, written by Gen. Goffe to his wife, in 1674, that his son was then in England. Now John Goffe of Londonderry, came to this country in 1662 or 1663 and was a member of Dr. Increase Mather's church in 1676. These facts show that he could not have been a son of Gen. Goffe. Yet he may have been a nephew, and the fact, that his immediate descendants continued the family names of Stephen, John and William, would seem to indicate that he might have been a descendant of Rev. Stephen Goffe, of Stanmore, who had those names in his family.
John Goffe came to Londonderry as an agent for the Scotch Irish emigrants. He was a man of some considerable business capacity, and performed his stipulated duties to the satisfaction of his employers, as is shown by the fact that he had a special grant in the charter for his "good services in promoting the settlement of said town," the closing stipulation of the charter reading thus:"Moreover and above what is already given in this schedule is added,
|To||Mr. McGregore,||250 acres|
|"||Mr. McKeen,||250 "|
|"||Mr. David Cargill,||100 "|
|"||Mr. James Gregg,||150 "|
|"||Mr. Goffe,||100 "|
for good services, and to the last two mentioned, namely Gregg and Goffe, a Mill Stream within the said town for their good services in promoting the settlement of said town."
Mr. Goffe was the first town, or rather proprietors' clerk. He was chosen in 1719 and served in that capacity until March 1723, having been chosen Town Clerk at the organization of the town under the charter of 1722. Soon after the organization some difficulty ensued betwixt him and a portion of the proprietors, in relation to his acts while Agent and Clerk. It was alleged that his son John Goffe, Jr.'s, name was introduced improperly among the grantees and that a "transcript of land" was improperly recorded in his own favor. The subject of the alleged improper record was referred to a Committee, March 5, 1731, with directors to commence a suit at law against him, but it does not appear that the committee had any action upon the subject, or that a suit was commenced against him. This fact would seem to show that upon investigation, there was no cause of action. The difficulty however in relation to the insertion of his son's name in the schedule attached to the charter, continued, and the town refused to lay out any land to John Goffe, Jr. Upon this he brought a suit against the town. This action was brought some time prior to may 18, 1731, as on that day a warrant was posted calling a town meeting to act upon the subject. This was the first notice of the matter on record. The town defended the suit stoutly, but after six years of litigation, Mr. Goffe obtained a judgment against the town, and in 1738 they adjusted the matter with him by laying him out a home lot of sixty acres, and paying his costs, amounting to twenty-six pounds and eight shillings. This result, coupled with the fact that the committee to prosecute the father, never took any action in the matter, shows pretty conclusively that the whole charge against John Goffe, Senior, had no foundation in substance. Yet his enemies made the most of the matter and succeeded in keeping him out of any public employment.
Mr. Goffe's farm in Londonderry proved to be next to worthless, as upon making a clearing, its position was such, that it was subject to frosts, and he could not succeed in raising Indian corn, to him a Massachusetts man, an indispensible product. Upon this, his son, John Goffe, Jr., invited him to move to the Cohas Brook and live with him, where he had plenty of good land for corn and other purposes. He accepted the invitation, taking the principal charge of the farm of his son, who from his connection with public affairs, had little time to devote to farming. This was probably in 1722, as before suggested. He resided with his son until his death, August 9, 1748, at the age of 69 years. His only son, John, became a distinguished officer in the French and Indian wars.
Doubtless came here about 1722, with his father-in-law, John Goffe, as he was a grantee of Londonderry in that year. He probably was originally of Billerica. He entered in the Company under the famous "Captain Lovewell," in the expedition against Pequauquauke, and while on the march and in the neighborhood of Ossipee Lake, was taken sick, as related in the preceding chapter. It is probable, that he did not long survive the hardships and exposure of this expedition. His son, John Kidder, was named as a legatee in the will of his grandfather, John Goffe, Esq., made in 1748.
Of Edward Lingfield, very little is known. He married a daughter of John Goffe, Esq., and settled here about 1722, as before suggested. He was a corporal in Lovewell's expedition, was one of the thirty-four men who marched from Ossipee Lake to Pequauquauke, and took part in that famous battle; where he fought with great bravery. He was one of the nine men in that battle "who received no considerable wounds." After his return from that expedition, he received an Ensign's commission, as a reward of his heroic conduct in the battle of Pequauquauke. The time of his death is unknown. His son Benjamin was a legatee named in his grandfather Goffe's will, and it is probable that his father had died before that time.
Archibald Stark, was born at Glasgow in Scotland in 1693. Soon after graduating at the University, he moved to Londonderry in the north of Ireland, becoming what was usually denoted a "Scotch Irishman." There he was married to a poor, but beautiful Scotch girl, by the name of Eleanor Nichols, and emigrated to America. He at first settled in Londonderry, where he remained until some time in 1736, when having his house burned, he removed to that portion of land upon the Merrimack, then known as Harrytown, upon a lot that had been granted to Samuel Thaxter, by the government of Massachusetts, and which was situated upon the hill upon the east bank of the Merrimack, a short distance above the falls of Namaoskeag. Here he resided until his death. An educated man, Stark must have had a strong desire that his children should enjoy the advantages of an education; but in a wilderness, surrounded by savages, and upon a soil not the most inviting, the sustenance and protection of his family, demanded his attention, rather more than their education. His children however were instructed at the fireside, in the rudiments of an English education, and such principles were instilled into them, as accompanied with energy, courage and decision of character, made them fit actors in the stirring events of that period. His education fitted him rather for the walks of civil life, but yet we find him a volunteer for the protection of the frontier against the rages of the Indians in 1745--and for the protection of the people in this immediate neighborhood, a fort was built at the outlet of Swager's or Fort Pond, (near Rodnia Nutt's,) which, out of compliment to Mr. Stark's enterprise in building, and garrisoning, the same was called Stark's fort.
John Hall came to this country probably after 1730. He tarried some time in Londonderry, and then moved upon a lot of land, near the west line of Chester, and in that part of the town, afterwards set off to form the town of Derryfield. He was an energetic business man, and for a series of years, transacted much of the public business of this neighborhood and town. His farm comprised the farms now owned by Messrs Wilson & Cheney, Isaac Huse, and George Porter. His first house, a log one, was built upon land now owned by George Porter. He kept a public house until his death. The original frame house built by him, but added to according to business and fashion, until little of the original could be recognized, was standing until 1852, when it was destroyed by fire. It had always been kept as a public house and generally by some one of the name.
Mr. Hall was the agent of the inhabitants for obtaining the charter of Derryfield in 1751, and was the first town clerk under that charter. He was elected to that office fifteen years--and in one and the same year, was Moderator, first Selectman, and Town clerk. These facts show the estimation in which he was held by his fellow townsmen. The time of Mr. Hall's arrival in this country, or of his removal to Chester is not known. He married in Londonderry Miss Elizabeth Dickey, January 4, 1741. Upon his marriage, he moved into a house with Colonel Samuel Barr, where he lived some years, and during which time some three or four of his children were born. He then moved to Chester, probably in 1748 or 1749. While living at Londonderry in the house with Mr. Barr, his son Daniel Hall was born, July 28th 1744. This event had been anticipated some months, by the birth of a daughter to Mr. Barr, January 4th, of the same year. The intimacy thus commenced by the parents was continued, and their children, Daniel Hall and Jean Barr, at mature age, were united in marriage. Their offspring comprises most of the people by the name of Hall in this neighborhood. Samuel Barr, with two brothers, John, Gabriel, and a nephew, James, came to this country about 1723, from Bellymony, county of Antrim, Ireland. he was a man of ability and soon became of much influence in the town. He was frequently Moderator and Selectman and in 1741-2 was representive at the Provincal Assembly; and again elected to the same office in 1761 and the six years next following. He also had command of the Regiment in this section, when such a command was an honor, and conferred alone for merit as a man and a soldier.
John Barr, the elder brother of Samuel, was in the celebrated siege of Derry, and for services there rendered in common with the other defenders of that city, was exempted from taxation by act of Parliament throughout the British dominions. In consequence of this honorable tribute to his courage, John Barr's lands in Londonderry were exempted from taxation until the subversion of British power in this Province by the Revolution. There were several other men of Londonderry who were in the siege of Derry and entitled to like exemption from taxation. Of these were Rev. Matthew Clark, William Caldwell, and Abraham Blair. The farms owned by these soldiers, and their descendants were known as the "exempt farms."
An heir loom is now in the possession of the Barr family, obtained in the following manner.
After the siege of Derry many of the soldiers were marched out of the city by orders of Gen. Kirk, under the pretence that a certain amount of money was to be distributed among them, but they were disbanded without pay or provision, and had to get home the best way they could. John Barr was among them and started by Bellymony, weak from the effects of a long siege, and faint for want of food. In the evening he came to a house, went in and requested to stay all night. The woman of the house said she could not entertain him. "But," says he "I have got in and unless you are stronger than I, I shall stay." He noticed two fowls roasting before the fire. The woman became very pleasant and full of conversation. She said she wanted to make a rope, and asked if he could assist. He said he could. She got the flax and crank, and they went to work. He twisted and stepped back toward the door. When he got to the door, he asked if it was not long enough. She said no, he stepped out of the door; at which she threw the rope out and shut the door, fastened it, and put his gun and pack out of the window.
Well, thought he, I am outwitted: but he travelled on, and seeing an old deserted mill, he thought he would turn in there for the night, and he concluded the safest place to sleep would be in the hopper. He had not been there long, before he saw a light approaching the mill, and soon there entered a man and woman, with two cooked fowls and a silver tankard of beer. The man and woman being very familiar, the soldier thought that he would like to see what was going on, and raising his head for this purpose, the hopper fell and came down with a crash. The two persons fled, leaving the fowls and the tankard of beer. Our hero got up, made a good supper of the fowls, put the remainder in his pouch, and with morning departed on his journey.
William Gamble came to this country in 1722, aged fourteen years. He and two elder brothers, Archibald, and Thomas, and a sister, Mary, started together for America, but the elder brothers were pressed into the British service upon the point of sailing, leaving the boy, William, and his sister to make the voyage alone. William was saved from the press-gang, alone by the ready exercise of "woman's wit." The Gambles had started under the protection of Mr. and Mrs. Michael McClintock, who resided in the same neighborhood, and were about to emigrate to New England. Upon witnessing the seizure of the elder brothers, Mrs. McClintock called to William Gamble, "Come here, Billy quickly," and upon Billy's approaching her, she continued, "snuggle down her Billy," and she hid him under the folds of her capacious dress! There he remained in safety, until the gang had searched the house for the boy in vain, and retired in high dugeon at their ill success.
Upon coming to this country, the McClintocks came to Londonderry, and finally settled in that part of Chester near Londonderry, upon the farm now owned by the heirs of Gen. McQueston. They were industrious, thriving people, and Michael and William, his son, built the first bridge across the Cohas, and also another across the Little Cohas, on the road from Amoskeag to Derry. These bridges were built in 1738 and were probably nearwhere bridges are now maintained across the same streams, on the "old road to Derry." The McClintocks were voted twenty shillings a year for ten years for the use of these bridges.
Alexander, son of William McClintock, subsequently married Janet Gamble, daughter of William Gamble, whom his grandmother by her great presence of mind had saved from the clutches of the press-gang. The McClintocks moved to Hillsborough where their decendants now reside.
William Gamble upon his arrival in Boston, went to work on the ferry from Charlestown to Boston. Here he remained two years. During his time, he had no more than supported himself, and he went back into the country and worked at farming for some years. At this period he made a visit to Londonderry where he married a widow Clark. At Londonderry, he found a cousin, Archibald Stark, and concluded to remain in this neighborhood. Accordingly he "made a pitch," upon the west side of the Merrimack, in what is now Bedford; but after a short time he determined to settle in Chester, and "spotted out," the farm now owned by Samuel Gamble, his great grandson, and Isaac C. Flanders, Esq. This was probably about 1733. here he built a log house upon the east side of the brook that passes through the farm of Samuel Gamble, Esq. The path from Namaoskeag Falls to Londonderry, and running by spotted trees, passed near his house, and crossed the Cohas below the Hazeltine Mills. Here he resided laboring incessantly upon his farm until the breaking out of the Indian war of 1745. During this war he joined several "scouts," and upon the commencement of the "old French War," in 1755, having lost his wife, he enlisted in the regular service, and was in most of the war, being under Wolfe on the "Plains of Abraham." After the fall of Quebec, he came back to Derryfield, and went to work upon his farm. Soon after, he married Ann, the eldest child of Archibald Stark. By her he had two sons, William and Archibald. William Gamble, Senior, died suddenly of cramp, Dec. 28th 1785, aged 77 years. His wife Ann, died Jan. 25th 1805, aged 84 years, being unfortunately burned with the house, then owned by her son Archibald.
Archibald and Thomas Gamble, the elder brothers of William, after serving some time in the British army, deserted, came to this country and settled in Virginia, where their descendants reside at the present day.
Mary, the sister, that came over with William, married William Starret, and settled near her brother, upon the farm now owned by Archibald Gamble, Esq. Their son, David Starret, was an active business man; was town clerk from 1767 to 1775, and then again from 1777 to July 1779, when he removed to Francestown.
John McNeil came to Londonderry with the first emigrants in 1719.
The McNeils of Scotland and in the North of Ireland were men of known reputation for bravery, and Daniel McNeil was one of the council of the City of Londonderry, and has the honor, with tenty-one of the council of the City of Londonderry, and has the honor, with twenty-one others of that body, of withstanding the duplicity and treachery of Lundy, the traitorous Governor, and affixing their signatures to a resolution, to stand by each other in defence of the city, which resolution, placarded upon the market house, and read at the head of the battalions in the garrison, led to the successful defence of the city.
John McNeil was a lineal descendant of this councilor. Becoming involved in a quarrel with a person of distinction in his neighborhood, who attacked him in the highway, McNeil knocked him from his horse, and left him to be cared for by his retainers. This encounter, though perfectly justifiable on the part of McNeil, as his antagonist was the attacking party, made his tarry in Ireland unpleasant, if not unsafe, and he emigrated to America, and settled in Londonderry. Here he established a reputation not only as a man of courage, but one of great strength, and neither white or red man upon the borders, dared to risk a hand-to-hand encounter with him. Measuring six feet and a half in height, with a corresponding frame, and stern unbending will, he was a fit outpost, as it were, of civilization, and many are the traditions of his personal encounters during a long and eventful border life. His wife, Christan, was well mated with him, of strong frame and great energy and courage. It is related that upon one occasion a stranger came to the door and enquired for McNeil. Christian told him that her "gude mon" was not at home: upon which the stranger expressed much regret. Christian enquired as to the business upon which he came, and the stranger told her he had heard a great deal of the strength of McNeil and his skill in wrestling, and he had come some considerable distance, to throw him. "An troth mon," said Christian McNeil, "Johnny is gone, but I'm not the woman to se ya disappointed, an' I think if ye'll try mon, I'll throw ya meself." The stranger not liking to be thus bantered by a woman, accepted the challenge, and sure enough, Christian tripped his heels and threw him upon the ground. The stranger upon getting up, thought he would not wait for "Johnny," but left without deigning to leave his name.
A large rock in the bed of the Merrimack directly west of the north end of No. 1, Amoskeag New Mills, and about four rods from the east bank of the river, is now known by the name of "Old McNeil." It received its name from John McNeil, and in this wise. McNeil in attempting to cross the river at this place, in the spring of the year, when the ice was thin and weak, fell through into the river near this rock. With the utmost presence of mind he waded towards the shore until he could touch both the bottom and the ice, when bracing his broad shoulders against it, with an almost superhuman effort, he raised the surrounding ice, broke through it, and getting upon the firm ice, thus escaped from drowning. This incident, together with the fact that this rock, form its height usually protruded through the ice, suggested and continued to it, the name of "old McNeil." This rock was a noted mark and guide for the rivermen. When "old McNeil" was out of sight, six or eight "shots" of lumber could be run over Merrill's falls. When he showed his head three inches, four "shots" could be run, and when his head was out of water six inches, but one could be run. Thus has John McNeil been kept in remembrance; but not thus alone, for his name, borne by a lineal descendant, himself possessing many of the traits of his ancestor, has become identified with one of the brightest pages of American history. John McNeil moved to Suncook, (now Pembroke) and was a resident there in 1747, the 26th of May of which year his name, is found attached to a petition to the Governor and Council for assistance against the Indians, who had made an attack upon that settlement on Monday the 26th previous. It is probable that he lived there with John Knox who had married his daughter, and that he died and was buried in Suncook.
His son Daniel, moved to Hillsborough in 1771, where his descendants are among the most respectable citizens of that town.
John McNeil, son of Daniel, was born in Derryfield, in March 1757, five years after the incorporation of the town, and moved to Hillsborough with his father. John was a private in Capt. Isaac Baldwin's company which was of Stark's regiment in the memorable battle of Bunker's Hill, and assisted Capt. Baldwin from the field when he was mortally wounded. Lieut. McNeil serve din the war several years. He died, Sept. 29, 1836, aged 79 years. He married Lucy, oldest daughter of Isaac Andrews, Esq., of Hillsborough. Their children were Mary, born July, 6, 1779; Solomon, born January 15, 1782; John, born March 25, 1784, and Lucy, born April, 1786, and who died in infancy.
Mary married James Wilson, Esq., of Hillsborough.
Solomon, Major General, is now living at Hillsborough. General Soloman McNeil, married Nancy M. the second daughter of Gov. Benjamin Pierce. Gen. John McNeil married Elizabeth A. the eldest daughter of Gov. Pierce--she is still living. Gen. John McNeil was a distinguished officer in the war of 1812. He entered the service as a Captain, March 12th 1812. August 15, 1813, was promoted to Majority; July 15, 1814, was breveted a Lieut. Colonel "for his intrepid behavior on the 5th of July in the battle of Chippewa;" was breveted a Colonel July 25, 1814, "for his distinguished valor as a commander of the 11th regiment of infantry on the 25th day of July in the battle of Niagara;" was promoted to the rank of Lieut. Colonel, Feb. 24, 1818; to the rank of Colonel, April 28, 1826; and was breveted Brigadier General, July 25, 1824 after ten years of faithful seivice as brevet Colonel. In April 1830, Gen. McNeil retired from the service, having been appointed by Gen. Jackson, Surveyor of the port of Boston. This last office he held until the day of his death, which happened at Washington, Feb. 23, 1850.
At the battle of Niagara, at the head of "the bloody 11th," Gen. McNeil, then a Major, received a wound in the knee, from a grape shot. The limb was dreadfully shattered, still McNeil retained his saddle, and cheered on his men, until fainting from the loss of blood, his situation was observed by his soldiers, who held him in his saddle and thus took him from the field. This wound crippled him for life. After the battle of Chippewa, only twenty days previous, Major McNeil led his regiment into battle.
It is a fact worthy of note, that a Captain of thirty should have been promoted to a Majority, and have received two brevets in less than a year, and the brevets of Lieut. Colonel and Colonel in the brief space of twenty days. Gen. McNeil was about six feet and six inches in height, of good proportions and a military air, which was not lessened by a stiff knee; and when in the saddle or on foot, was one of the best looking officers in the service. Of his bravery and gallantry no mention need be made, as the honors of his government eloquently speak of both of these qualities.
The only son of Gen. John McNeil was a graduate of West Point and was wounded in the Florida War, while leading an attack upon an Indian Camp, on the 10th of September 1837. He lived till the following night when he expired at the age of twenty years and six months, lamented by a large circle of friends. Lieut. Benjamin P. McNeil, the second son of Gen. John, was attached to the U. S. service, a Lieutenant in the artillery corps, and died at Boston, June 12th, 1853.
Gen. McNeil had two daughters, Elizabeth Andrews Benham, who married Capt. G. W. Benham, of the United States Army and who now resides at Hillsborough, and Frances who also resides with her mother at Hillsborough.
In October 1735, the throat distemper prevailed in this town. This was the most fatal epidemic that ever prevailed throughout New England. We have no means of knowing how many deaths occurred in this town, and only know from tradition that it prevailed here. Aged people have told of its victims here, and the number of graves, as well as their apparent size in the Burying Ground near the first meeting house, and which was first used in this year, and used only a few years for such purposes, would seem to agree with tradition, that there was a fatal epidemic among the children of the township at this period.
The throat swelled with white and ash colored specks, an efflorescence appeared on the skin; there was a great debility of the whole of the whole system, and a strong tendency to putridity. Its first appearance was in May, 1735, at Kingston in this State.
"It was said to have originated with a man by the name of Clough, who in April of that year had a swine taken sick with a complaint in his throat, and died. Mr. Clough skinned the hog and opened it. Soon after he was taken sick with a complaint in his throat and died. Early in May the same year two children of Dea. Elkins were taken with the cynanche maligna and died suddenly. Immediately after some children of a Mr. Webster died with it. From these points it soon spread every way, raging through most of the families, not according to the effects of contagion, or qualities of soil, but to appearances entirely fortuitous, until most of the families lost nearly all their children under ten years of age. The disease was so suddenly mortal that death often took place in twelve hours after the attack. It is related of children that while sitting up at play they would fall and expire with their play thing in this hands."1
"During the summer, it spread through the town; of the first forty who had it, not one recovered. In August, it appeared in Exeter, an adjacent town, where 127 died; in September, at Boston, fifty miles south, where 114 died; in Byfield, fifteen miles south of Kingston, October 23d; nor was it known in Chester, an adjoining town, till this month.
At Byfield, only one died in October, in November two died, in December ten, in January seven, in February three, in March six, in April five, in May seven, in June four, in July nine, in August twenty-five, in September thirteen, in October eight, in November four; the last of which died on the 23d, so that in just thirteen months 104 persons died, which was about the seventh part of the population of the parish. Eight children were buried from one family, four of them in the same grave; another family lost five children. In other places, from three to six children were lost out of a family. In some towns one in three, and others one in four, who were sick, died. In Hampton Falls, 20 families buried all their children; 27 persons were lost out of five families, and more than a sixth part of the inhabitants died. In the province of New Hampshire alone, which then had only fifteen towns not less than 1000 persons, of whom nine hundred were under twenty years of age, fell victims to this terrible malady."2
Thus near one tenth of the entire population of the Province was cut off in a single year, a melancholy blow, from which the colony was long in recovering.
1Farmer & Moore's His. Coll. p. 143. Return
2History of New England, pages 309 and 310. Return