GRISTMILLS--SAWMILLS--INDUSTRIES OF THE PISCATAQUOG RIVER--AMOSKEAG COTTON AND WOOLEN MILLS--KENDALL, HADLEY AND CO.--WHEELWRIGHTS--MACHINISTS--TINSMITHS, PLUMBING, ETC.--BUTCHERS AND MEAT DEALERS--TANNERIES--BLACKSMITHS--CARPENTERS--OTHER INDUSTRIES
The earliest industry of Goffstown was tilling the soil and farming. The town at an early period ranked well as an agricultural town and compared very favorably with the others of Hillsborough County in this respect. The early settlers were obliged to have some way of rendering the products of the soil, of the forest and of their flocks useful. The raw material must be manufactured and made to conform to the necessities of their daily lives even though they be few, and to this end manufactories in their primitive and crude state were introduced. These in turn have undergone improvements until brought to the present state of perfection.
CORN OR GRISTMILLS AND SAWMILLS NOT ON PISCATAQUOG RIVER
The first mechanical industries of Goffstown were grist and sawmills. Both were early established on account of food and habitations. The gristmill seems to have been brought to its present state through stages of progress. The Indian used a stone mortar and pestle for converting his corn into meal.
In the process of time the mortar was made rigid and the pestle had a series of ridges at the bottom so as to grate the grain rather than powder it. Later the pestle was confined vertically by a cover and turned by a crank or sweep attached to the top of the pestle horizontally. The next step the sweep was lengthened and animal power was attached to turn the same. Finally two rude stones were introduced with ridges upon the same and turned by water-power.
The first gristmill in town was constructed upon the Mystic Brook, on land now owned by heirs of Andrew McDougall, by Joseph Kennedy before the incorporation, and as otherwise remarked, the millstones are in possession of the McDougall family.
Some years later, about 1780, a small cornmill was constructed upon the Whittle Brook by Dea. Robert Moore. The dam was upon the present location of the northerly dam of the Goffstown Village Fire Precinct Reservoir.
Both these mills were crude affairs and would grind but a few bushels of corn in a day. Near the close of the eighteenth century corn- or gristmills became more prevalent in town and were brought to a greater degree of proficiency on the Piscataquog River and its tributaries. The mills upon the Piscataquog River will be spoken of in that part of the subject relating to Industries on the Piscataquog River.
John Greer, grandfather of B. F. Greer, had a gristmill on Harry Brook at Grasmere where the Hopkins sawmill now stands. This was probably as well equipped as any mill in town at that time.
In 1871 Edwin Flanders erected a gristmill upon the site of a former sawmill upon Harry Brook, a short distance southerly of the Hopkins sawmill subsequently mentioned, which he maintained for some years.
In 1888 Rodney Johnson, having had a large experience in the flour and grain business in the West, began the operation of a gristmill in the westerly subdivision of the present sash and blind shop of Kendall, Hadley and Co. and continued business until 1872, when the same was sold to E. H. Cotton, who soon disposed of it to Ziba A. Hoit, he operating the same until about 1883, when the mill was abandoned, and the room utilized by the sash and blind manufactory.
On Black Brook near the present easterly line of Goffstown, Col. Daniel Farmer had a gristmill before he removed to Amoskeag, and after his removal to Amoskeag he constructed a gristmill upon the northerly side of Black Brook about opposite the present Maxwell ice-house.
It was principally through Colonel Farmer's efforts that the road was built leading from the Goffstown Road down the bank to the Dunbarton Road, and the occasion of the same was to render his gristmill more accessible to the Goffstown travel.
The ambition of the earlier settlers could not long be restrained. With commendable enterprise they desired better habitations than the first constructed log houses.
There were certain materials necessary in the construction of buildings that the carpenter with his broad axe could not hew from the forest tree. Boards, clapboards and finish were essential and, for the manufacture of these, sawinills were necessary.
Forests of virgin timber covered the country from which a source of revenue could also be derived. Accordingly the valuable water-powers of the Merrimack River at Amoskeag Falls, the Piscataquog River and its tributaries were early utilized by the construction of sawmills.
A sawmill was built in 1760 or before at Amoskeag Falls, by a man by the name Patterson, and in 1795 the Patterson Mill having gone to decay, upon the same site Mr. James Pollard built a second mill; this location was very near the west abutment of the Amoskeag Falls Bridge. This mill was subsequently sold by Mr. Pollard to Jonas Harvey, and in 1804 to Ephraim and Robert Stevens.
In 1802 another sawmill was built upon the island by Isaac Rowell. Mr. Rowell, in the construction of this mill, had two associate owners, one by the name of Samuel Wood. About the same time Robert McGregor built a sawmill, a short distance above the westerly end of the present bridge which crosses the river at Bridge Street; this was known as the McGregor Mill.1
Col. Daniel Farmer had a sawmill on Black Brook near the easterly line of Goffstown, at about the same time that he operated a gristmill there, and afterwards on the same stream at Amoskeag. This mill remained for many years and was an old landmark within the memory of the present generation.
In 1765 Samuel Blodget had a sawmill about a mile above Amoskeag Village upon Black Brook, at what has since been known as the Straw2 place.
Capt. Nathaniel Kimball had a sawmill on Black Brook, at the same site where B. F. Stevens and David Wells erected in 1864 the present mill, now owned by the heirs of G. F. Robertson.
Northeasterly of the residence of John B. Jones the high abrupt banks of Black Brook, with the aid of a short dam, afforded a natural reservoir. Upon this natural mill site Philip Jones, about 1785, constructed a sawmill, and by his dam created an extensive flowage which in later years was looked upon as a very favorable site for a reservoir for impounding the water to aid the Manchester manufacturers.
Nathan Hardy had a sawmill upon the Hardy Brook easterly of the residence of David Wells. This mill was afterwards owned and operated by Gilman F. Farley, and finally passed its usefulness, and like nearly all of the others went to decay.
Upon Harry Brook the first sawmill toward the source in Goffstown was erected by John McCoy, and had an extensive flowage; this privilege is east of the residenec of the late Dea. Joseph Gilmore. The next sawmill upon this stream, as we go southerly, was built by John Harriman upon land now owned by Walter Woodbury. This, like the McCoy Mill, has been gone many years. The only mill now standing upon this stream is known as the William D. Hopkins Mill, and was previously owned by Alfred Poore, and Alfred Poore purchased of Noyes Poor, who formerly owned Hilisborough County Farm. This is the same site where John Greer had a gristmill which is mentioned under gristmills.
Another sawmill, owned by Capt. Benjamin Greer, was situated a short distance southerly of the last named mill. The privilege was formerly used for another industry, and after the abandomnent was purchased by Captain Greer. This mill was burned in 1849 on account of overheated machinery and again rebuilt, and in the October freshet of 1869, washed away.
The privilege changed hands and subsequently Edwin Flanders constructed a griatmill upon the same. Evidently there was a mill at one site or the other last mentioned at an early date, as it was one of the reservations of the grant that a sawmill should be built upon the tract of land granted to Thomas Follansbee on Harry Brook. There were numerous complaints of his failure to build the mill, but in a conveyance dated April 25, 1757, Joshua Follansbee of Plaistow in consideration of �500 old tenor conveyed to Thomas Karr of Litchfield, a blacksmith, "160 acres of land with ye mill lot within the same, being ye lot laying upon Harry Brook in new plantation commonly called Goffstown in the province of New Hampshire together with all the mill irons and privileges belonging thereto to a mill formerly built on said brook."
In the westerly part of the town upon Gorham Brook, the outlet of Gorham Pond, were three sawmills; the first, following the brook from source to mouth, was upon land now owned by Charles Woodbury and known as the Hadley Mill. This mill when originally constructed was a company affair, composed of twelve shares, owned by Plummer Hadley, Nathaniel Hadley, and others. In 1800 George P. and William Hadley purchased the same, and afterwards converted it into a circular sawmill, and for some years did quite an extensive business.
The next on the stream, and first constructed, was known as the "Federal Mill," situate nearly west of the residence of Mrs. Mary F. Livesey. It was an old-time affair, but the site is plainly visible. The third sawmill was very near the mouth of the brook, built by William Parker, and after his decease was owned by his son George W. Parker.
Mr. Parker sold to Abner Hoit, who operated the same, as did his son John W. This, like the others, has gone to decay. On the Bog Brook Ebenezer Hadley and Jonathan Bell, Sr., built a mill about 1800 westerly of the house of George A. Bell. In 1850 John Haselton purchased of Robert Kennedy about three acres of land on the Bog Road and built a house and sawmill upon the same. This was the first circular sawmill constructed in town, and at that time was considered a remarkable invention. This property has many times changed hands, and finally for want of patronage it went down.
Upon Mystic Brook on the Nathaniel D. Richardson farm, Gilman Robertson had a sawmill which he operated for many years, and his son Gilman F. succeeded him. On this brook David Worthley and Hiram Tirrell had a sawmill southeasterly of the residence of William McDougall.
On the same brook northeasterly of the James Black place, James F. Wyman built a mill in the last of the sixties, which he operated for a short time. When the plant was constructed in 1868, now known as the Kendall, Hadley and Co. Sash and Blind Factory, Jesse Nichols was a partial owner, and had a circular sawmill at the westerly end of the building which he operated for some years, and finally disposed of the same to Kendall, Hadley and Co.
In the nineties Oliver B. Pierce operated a steam sawmill on West Union Street for quite a portion of the year, and after discontinuing the same began the manufacture of cider of which he makes a specialty during the fall months.
Of all the sawmills above mentioned, but two remain which are used for that purpose. When originally constructed all were of the upright pattern, known as up and down mills. Many eariy went to decay, quite a number were changed to circular mills, but the business of all was ruined by the advent of the portable steam mill, which likewise was an important factor in ruining the forests of the town.
INDUSTRIES ON THE PISCATAQUOG RIVER
The Piscataquog River was early a source of revenue to the inhabitants of Goffstown; its water-power before the Revolution was realized as an important factor in the future prosperity of the town.
As early as 1772 as we have noted in Chapter XIII, among the causes that led to the Revolution was the seizure of white pine logs by order of the surveyor-general at several sawmills in town, prominent among which were Dow's, Patty's and Richard's Mill's.
In attempting to trace the early industries whose wheels were turned by the waters of the Piscataquog we will commence with the most westerly privilege upon the river and endeavor to proceed easterly to the town line.
The privilege at what was commonly known as the west village was probably occupied upon each side of the river quite early. In 1793 Job Dow and his wife Hannah sell to Jonathan Gove, of New Boston, land adjoining Piscataquog River upon the south side beginning at the east side of the road leading from the bridge to the Merrimack River, etc., "reserving full liberty to pass up and down the Piscataquog River easterly from my grist- and sawmill," which is supposed to be the sawmill at which the logs were seized some twenty years before, or about 1770, which is the first record we find of the Dow Mill, although it is presumed it was erected at about the time the town was incorporated, as Job Dow was prominently identified with the town at that time. This mill stood a short distance westerly of the present bobbin shop, and the water was taken out of the river by means of a canal, the west end of which was near the easterly end of the railroad bridge.
A gristmill and sawmill was maintained here until 1838 and, at some time previous to this, a woolen factory was added as, in the conveyance of this property in 1837, mention was made of "a gristmill, sawmill and satinet factory" standing upon the same.
The early inhabitants for a number of years carded their wool by hand. This was a slow laborious task and required great patience; carding the wool into rolls, spinning the same into yarn and then weaving the yarn into cloth required great energy and perseverance. But the manufacture of cloth by this tedious process was in keeping with all other hand manufactures at the time. As the poet has said:
"Labor then being lord in the land
Everything had to be done by hand."
This slow process necessitated carding machines and carding and fulling mills.
A carding and fulling mill was built upon the northerly side of Piscataquog River near the present site of the gristmill about 1825, and as late as 1836 was operated by Bensiah and Calvin Richards.
In 1837 the Gofistown Manufacturing Company was incorporated, and on the 7th of December, 1839, the incorporation took over all the mills and machinery on both sides of the Piscataquog River, and also the Blaisdell Mill, so-called, situated further down the river.
The privilege upon the northerly side of the river was used for various purposes, and subsequently operated by Jeremiah Austin in part in the manufacture of sash and blinds, and in part by J. S. and D. S. Carr for the same purpose until 1861, when on account of financial difficulties, the Carr firm retired. Mr. Austin occupied the entire building until December, 1873, when the same was destroyed by fire.
In 1883, J. M. and D. A. Parker and Kendrick Kendall erected a gristmill upon the northerly side of the river, on the site of the old sash and blind factory, formerly operated by Jeremiah Austin.
The mill was leased to Parker Bros. (Charles S. and Henry W. Parker), Henry W. subsequently disposing of his interest to Frank A., who continued to run the same until 1907, having previously purchased the mill. In December, 1907, Frank A. Parker sold the plant and good-will of the business to Robert M. Gordon, who has since operated the same.
Returning to the southerly side of the river the incorporators leased the satinet factory, and cloth was manufactured somewhat extensively until the fall of 1846, when the building was burned. There was a strong suspicion that the fire was of incendiary origin being set by the lessee who, carrying quite an insurance, had greatly reduced his stock preceding the fire.
John W. Smith of Goffstown and Samuel Crombie of New Boston, two employees who were sleeping in a spare room in the building, barely escaped. After the destruction of this building the privilege was occupied by Orrin Moore in the manufacture of carriages, sleighs, etc., and subsequently a large building was erected in which the manufacture of sash and blinds was begun; this business was conducted by different parties: Horatio G. W. Connor, George P., and William Hadley, D. and D. Gregg, and others until about 1870.
About 1875 John Bruger of Manchester, a hosiery manufacturer, purchased all the interest of the Goffstown Manufacturing Company not previously disposed of on each side of the river and began remodeling the plant and the construction of new buildings, but was soon overtaken with financial embarrassment and the result was, after a considerable length of time, the whole passed into the hands of J. M. and D. A. Parker and Kendrick Kendall.
The disposition of that part of the plant upon the northerly side of the river has already been mentioned. The buildings upon the southerly side were leased for various enterprises, principally kits and pails, matches, furniture, boxes, and finally the plant was sold in 1900 to Francis S. Gordon of Merrimack for the manufacture of bobbins, spools, etc., and afterwards operated by the Hambleton Brothers. The plant has been increased from time to time, at present is one of the largest of the kind in New England, and has been taken over by a syndicate.
The next privilege on the river was for many years known as the Blaisdell Mill, and was constantly utilized for over a hundred years. George Little had a sawmill at this site as early as 1799, and how long before I have no means of ascertaining.
This mill property passed through various hands: George Poor, Jesse Christie, Asa Crosby, Ephraim Warren, the Goffstown Manufacturing Co., Gove and Pattee, B. F. Blaisdell 1850-70.
A gristmill was added before 1850, which for many years did a flourishing business. Finally about 1870 the whole was converted into a sash and blind factory and operated as such by different parties: Hadley and Blaisdell, Hadley and Moore, and Alvin Hadley and Co. until about 1905, when it was purchased by D. B. McGregor, and by him sold to the Manchester Traction Light and Power Company, who leased the same for the manufacture of mattresses. It was burned February 23, 1914.
On account of the high dam at Gregg's Falls the privilege is submerged. The next privilege upon the river where a sawmill was located is on land formerly owned by William A. Holt, and southeasterly of his residence, known as the Lieut. Moses Little Mill. This mill was in operation before the Revolution, and it is probably the mill referred to when the logs were seized at Asa Patty's old mill. Inasmuch as upon September 6, 1774, Asa Patty sells to Moses Little "a certain interest in a sawmill standing upon Piscataquog River that I bought of Philip Ferrin."
The river where this mill stood originally made a sharp turn to the north, and then ran easterly around the northerly side of the island, and a small portion of the stream passed around on the southerly side of the island where the present river now naturally flows. The dam when first constructed was of medium height, and after a few years the owners of the mill, in order to develop greater power, raised the height of the darn, and on account of the rising water the river changed its course, running through the soft ground where it now flows, and left the mill high and dry. There is a tradition that the parties operating the mill shut down the gate, went to their noon meal and on their return found the river had assumed a new channel. This privilege is entirely submerged, but before the same was covered traces of the old mill site, dam and sluiceway were plainly visible.
The water-power at Gregg's Falls, like these previously mentioned, was early utilized by the earlier settlers, and a corn-mill and a sawmill were erected there before 1774, as upon that date Asa Pattee sells to Moses Kelley the northern part of lot No.6 in the 6th range, together with the corn-mill and three-eighths part of a sawmill standing upon said premises, and all the implements for improving said mills. These mills probably stood upon the southerly side of the river, but how long it is impossible to tell.
Leslie Gregg had a gristmill upon the northerly side of the river as early as 1802, which was washed away about 1817. It is said that Wadleigh L. Flanders was an eye-witness of the catastrophe, and he reported that when the flood and flow of ice struck the building it resembled an avalanche, striking with such force that it carried everything before it. There was a bridge across the river near the falls for some years succeeding 1800.
The Gregg's Falls Mills' privilege seemed to have passed almost into oblivion until 1852, when it appears upon the town books as taxable property, and February 19, 1858, was sold to John Richards for non-payment of taxes.
Mr. Richards held the same until about 1893. In that year by an act of the legislature the Union Electric Co. of Goffstown was incorporated, and having previously purchased the privilege of Mr. Richards proceeded to secure all rights of flowage on land which they intended to flow.
In 1897 the company constructed a dam of the height of 55 feet and also built a power-house upon the southerly side of the river for the generation of electricity.
This dam in 1917 was replaced by an extensive one of concrete masonry and is said to be one of the largest of its kind in New England. By the construction of this new dam the water is raised to a head of 68 feet, and an immense power is generated. A new power-house was also constructed during the summer of 1918. The plant is now owned by the Manchester Traction, Light and Power Company, and is one of the most extensive of its kind.
In the Manchester Union of March 13, 1918, appeared an account of the dam of which we make an extract: "The new dam which is being built by the Manchester Traction, Light and Power Company at Gregg's Falls is rapidly nearing completion. It is expected that the finishing touches will be started the last part of this week. It is the largest dam in the state. The power station on the easterly side of the dam which is now in the process of construction, will enable the company to utilize a larger amount of natural power. The new dam is 65 feet high and has a total spillway of 570 feet. The length of the north abutment is 640 feet, and of the south abutment, 194 feet. By use of the hydraucones, supplementary to the draft tubes, a large amount of water that formerly went over the dam or through the sluiceway to waste is now saved and converted into power."
Following the course of the river, its power was next occupied by a grist- and saw-mill standing on the southerly side of the river at the Center or Grasmere. David A. Bunten was the owner of a saw- and gristmill at this place in 1831, and here remained until about 1837, when he was succeeded by different parties, his brother William, Joseph Dunlap, and Benjamin Greer.
About 1862, a building of much larger proportion was erected just below the mill, and in 1864 the concern was incorporated under the name of the "Mechanics Mills Company," their charter giving them the right to manufacture doors, sash and blinds, cotton or woollen goods and such other branches of business as may be necessarily and conveniently connected therewith.
The building was leased to a man by the name of Cunningham from Franklin, who was engaged in the manufacture of hosiery, and about two years after the same was burned.
The building was again reconstructed and next occupied by Thorpe and Cheney in the manufacture of paper or pulp, and this firm was followed by the P. C. Cheney Co., when the mill was again burned in 1870.
About this time the property passed into the hands of the P. C. Cheney Co., the same was rebuilt on a much more extensive scale, exempted from taxation and the firm engaged in the manufacture of wood-pulp, which continued for a number of years, and was finally closed on account of financial troubles, and eventually sold to the Manchester Traction, Light and Power Company, who leased the same to out-of-town parties, and in the winter of 1910, the building was destroyed by fire and has not been rebuilt.
There was evidently a sawmill near this site or not far down the river, as is indicated by the following, copied from an old deed given in 1791 by Robert McGregor of Goffstown to William Parker of Bedford, in which he conveys "a certain sawmill on Piscataquog river in Goffstown, within about one-half mile of Goffstown meeting-house and four acres and a half of land used as a mill yard, the boundaries of which we are unable to define." The said McGregor also conveys "all the Youtensils in and about said mill which is originally known by the name of the 'Younity' mill."
Upon land now owned by Hillsborough County Farm, Capt. Samuel Richards, who commanded the Goffstown Company at the Battle of Bunker Hill, had a saw-mill preceding the Revolution, and here were 200 white pine logs which were seized by the surveyor-general. This mill was abandoned at a very early date probably before 1800.
Again as we follow the river eastward the next sawmill was upon land of H. B. Wyman, and the privilege is now deeply submerged on account of the dam at Kelley's Falls. This mill was known as Shirley's Mill, and owned by Thomas Shirley, a Revolutionary soldier, who afterwards setted on Shirley Hill, the ancestor of the Goffstown Shirleys.
About the time of the Revolution, Col. Moses Kelley built a saw- and gristmill at the falls upon the Piscataquog River, which have since borne his name. On account of financial difficulties his property passed into other hands and the mills went down. William E. Moore, in a paper published in the Manchester Historic Associations, entitled, "Early settlement of Kelley's Falls," says "Col. Moses Kelley built the first dam on Piscataquog River and erected there a saw- and grist mill. They were successfully operated by him for many years both before, during and after the Revolution."
We think Mr. Moore is in error in regard to this being the first dam on the Piscataquog River, as Col. Moses Kelley was not a resident of Goffstown until after the incorporation, and Job Dow was a prominent resident of the town at that time, and very soon thereafter had a mill at the village.
For a number of years the privilege was unoccupied, and sometime in the forties a small pail mill was erected there by a man by the name of White, and finally the dam and a portion of the building washed away. This privilege was included within that portion of the town annexed to the city of Manchester in 1853.
In 1890 a corporation known as the Union Electric Company, having previously purchased the privilege, erected a dam and power-house for generating electricity for general purposes. The dam was constructed to such a height that the water covered the intervals and lowlands in the valley of the Piscataquog River in Goffstown for quite a distance, and the riparian land of Samuel J. Dow, H. Byron Wyman, George W. Fellows, Phillip Mitchell and others was deeply submerged. Expensive litigation ensued on account of the flowage, and it was several years before the last of the flowage suits was settled. The dam created a large body of water in the valley of the Piscataquog, which might be termed a miniature lake.
Some years thereafter the Manchester Traction, Light and Power Company secured the property, and in 1915 replaced the original dam by a concrete one.
OTHER INDUSTRIES--CLOTHING MILLS, COTTON AND WOOLEN MANUFACTURES
Upon Harry Brook a man by the name of Bagley had a clothing mill, which was burned, near where Edwin Flanders' Gristmill stood, and Gideon Flanders rebuilt the mill and carried on the same business; finally on account of competition and greatly improved machinery it became unprofitable. Mr. Flanders removed his machinery which became almost a total loss on his hands, and sold the building to Samuel S. Weston, who afterwards sold the same to Benjamin Greer.
By far the greatest industry in Goffstown up to this time was the Amoskeag Cotton and Woolen Mills, which was incorporated in 1810. In 1809 Benjamin Prichard of New Ipswich, the grandfather of our present citizen George W. Prichard, having had some experience in the spinning of cotton yarn decided to locate at Amoskeag Falls. He built a small mill that year in connection with Ephraim, David and Robert Stevens taking water to propel the same from the dam of the old Pollard or Harvey Mill. Before the completion of the building the enterprise seeming so gigantic to the proprietors and, beginning to realize that it would hang heavily on their hands, concluded to enlarge the company.
Accordingly on the 18th of January, 1810, the Messrs. Stevens and Prichard drew up and signed a paper embodying their proposals and setting forth that they were the owners of a large tract of land in Goffstown at Amoskeag Falls, with sufficient water-power for carrying on the manufacture of cotton and woolen goods, and had begun the erecting of buildings and installing of the machinery.
They further set forth that it was their intention to form a company by dividing the same into one hundred shares, Goffstown people taking most of the stock.
The first meeting was holden at Col. Robert McGregor's on the 31st day of January, 1810, and at this meeting Joseph Richards was chosen president and Jotham Gillis, clerk, both of Goffstown; Ephraim and Robert Stevens furnished a bond to the company in the sum of two thousand dollars, agreeing to keep their dam in repair and to furnish so much water as will be sufficient for carrying an old-fashioned undershot corn mill at all seasons of the year and all days in the year, so long as water is needed for carrying on the manufacture of cotton and wool in that place. And the proprietors were to pay ten dollars.
On the 9th of March following, the first meeting of the directors was held, and James Parker was chosen president of the company, and Jotham Gillis clerk. The company was incorporated June 15 of the same year under the name of the Amoskeag Cotton and Woolen Manufacturing Company; the mill was put in operation during the summer, but the machinery being old did not operate well and the fol-lowing spring, 1811, the company determined upon installing new machinery.
In this mill were set in operation the first Awkright Spinning Frame and the first machine for winding cotton balls of thread used in New Hampshire. The method of manufacture was so extremely crude in comparison with the present day that we mention a few of the items.
There was no picker in those days and the cotton was picked by hand, being let out for four cents per pound. The yarn was sold at the country stores, or let out to be woven by women in town, at prices ranging from two to seven cents per yard. Two cents being paid for coarse cotton and seven cents for fine, and an average weaver would weave about twelve yards per day of coarse cotton. The stock-holders took their dividends and the officers and workmen their pay in yarn. After about four years of unsuccessful business the plant remained inactive or nearly so until 1825, when a new company was organized and Dr. Oliver Dean was appointed agent, who moved to Amoskeag in 1826.
Mr. Dean began extending operations of the company, new buildings were constructed and the mills were known as the "Old Mill" the "Island Mill," so-called, because it was situated upon the island, and the "Bell Mill" from the fact that it had the bell upon it. The Bell Mill was 140 feet in length by 65 feet in width; the Island Mill 130 feet by 70 feet; the whole was used for the manufacture of tickings. Boarding houses, stores and shops were built, and the manufacturing village of Amoskeag was the principal village of this section of the country.
The quality of the tickings manufactured here was unsurpsssed and soon acquired an unequaled reputation in the markets of the world. The village of Amoskeag and its manufactories retained their prosperity until 1840, when the Island Mill and the boarding house were destroyed by fire, and in 1847 the Old Mill and the Bell Mill shared the same fate.
All that remains as a landmark of the Island Mill is a portion of the brick wall, which for over seventy-five years has withstood the ravages of time and the floods of the Merrimack, a reminder of the former prosperity of the Island.
The success attending manufacturing by the Amoskeag Cotton and Woolen Factory after Oliver Dean assumed the management began to attract the attention of capitalists with the view of occupying the entire water-power at Amoskeag Falls for manufacturing purposes. And in June, 1831, the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company was chartered with a capital of $1,600,000. The development of the power and the success in manufacturing upon the Goffstown side of the river from 1826-30 was the incentive to the development of the Amoskeag Corporation.
Capt. James Varnum had a bleachery on the Island about 1850, which was burned.
SASH AND BLINDS--KENDALL, HADLEY AND COMPANY
In the spring of 1868, Kendrick Kendall, Henry W. Hadley and Lewis H. Stark formed a copartnership looking to the manufacture of sash and blinds, of which each had a thorough knowledge. They interested Rodney Johnson and Jesse Nichols in an enterprise to erect a building with steam as a motive power for the purpose. Accordingly a portion of the old muster field north of the railroad and westerly of land of Alfred Smith was purchased and the building erected. The building was completed about the first of July, 1868, and the easterly division was occupied by Messrs. Kendall, Hadley and Stark, under the firm name of Kendall, Hadley and Company. Jesse Nichols occupied the westerly end for a circular sawmill and other smaller manufactures in the room above. Rodney Johnson occupied the middle section for a gristmill as previously referred to.
The firm of Kendall, Hadley & Co. now own and occupy the entire building including that part occupied by Messrs. Johnson and Nichols mentioned under grist and sawmills, together with several additions made since the construction of the building. This firm has been in operation fifty-two years (1920), and given employment to seventy-five men who receive their pay every two weeks. When the business is at its height over 3,000,000 feet of pine lumber are used annually in the manufacture of their products.
The sash and blinds and window-frames find a market not only in the United States but in many countries upon the eastern continent. Since the inception of the business, the original members of the firm have deceased, but the business is conducted by Frank W. Kendall and Frank A. Stark, sons of Messrs. Kendall and Stark of the original company. This enterprise contributes in a great degree to the life of Goffstown Village, and the prosperity of this section of the town is largely dependent upon it.
BUILDING SOUTHERLY OF THE DEPOT
In 1872 a building was erected upon the southerly side of the railroad track in front of the village depot, and upon its completion was leased to various parties, principally, if not wholly, for the manufacture of sash and blinds. The firms or companies who engaged in business in this building were short-lived, and in the course of three years their affairs were in the hands of their creditors or they had closed their business. The building stood vacant until about 1880, when the owners received applications from certain nomadic or wandering shoe manufacturers seeking a location where they could secure tax exemption or other financial aid, or both. And after a short stay, like the Arab of old, they would "silently fold their tents and pass on," themselves being the richer and the townspeople poorer in every case for their sojourn in town.
The building for the greater portion of the time was vacant until about 1914 when it was occupied by Fred A. Condon for a garage and storage of automobiles.
WHEELWRIGHTS AND OTHER WOOD WORKERS
Orrin Moore, about 1833, started in the wheelwright business, as has been referred to, in a building standing on the present site of the bobbin shop, and in 1854 he increased his business, engaging in company with his brother in the manufacture of Moore's scythe rifles, and subsequently he still further increased his business, engaging extensively in the manufacture of children's sleds. The finishing of the sleds and the rifles was done in the building on East Union Street, and in this building his son Ervin carries on the painting of carriages, sleighs, automobiles, etc.
James R. Ferson manufactured carriages and sleighs for some years in Goffstown first in a shop standing near his residence in School District No. 8, and afterwards at Goffstown Village.
D. Whittemore Hazen likewise did carriage work in Goffstown for some years, as did Philip H. Stiles and Henry M. Burroughs.
Leslie P. Scribner manufactured carriages for a time in Goffstown.
About 1815 Jesse Carr constructed a dam and began to utilize the waters of Gorham Brook for the manufacture of carriages. His shop stood near the southerly end of the building where George P. Hadley now lives, and from 1820 to 1850 did quite a thriving business. There was a small trip-hammer shop in the south garden where hoes were manufactured, deriving their power from Mr. Carr's Pond. Upon the southerly side of the Mast Road James E. Davidson manufactured furniture in a building standing south of the present residence of Henry F. Colby. This shop also derived its power from water taken from Mr. Carr's Pond, by means of a canal leading from the pond across the highway. Mr. Davidson was succeeded in business by Ambrose Story and Luther Sargent.
Eli P. Roberts was a cabinetmaker at the Center. The cabinet and furniture manufacture was quite an important business for a number of years; the young lady in anticipation of marriage went to him and ordered her household furniiture. When death entered the family a neighbor was at once dispatched to the cabinet-maker and ordered the coffin, which he at once set about manufacturing, and the day of the funeral depended largely upon the time of the completion of the coffin.
Daniel Farmer had a wheelwright shop at Amoskeag upon the southerly side of the Black Brook.
Between 1850 and 1860 Frederick L. Walker did a machinist's business and iron work in a shop standing easterly of the present bobbin shop, and for some years following 1870 H. R. Dewitt was engaged in the same business in a shop standing southerly of Kendall, Hadley and Company's Sash and Blind Factory, from which he derived his power.
After H. R. Dewitt retired from business the building was for some years occupied by Homer F. Grady in the manufacture of latch needles.
TINSMITHS, PLUMBING, ETC.
Edson L. Rand came to Goffstown from Hopkinton about 1870 and opened a tin shop, plumbing, repairing, etc, in the old Central Block; he soon associated with him Charles E. French, and the firm of French and Rand existed a few years. About 1880 Mr. Rand built the building immediately east of the brick blacksmith shop on Elm Street, and took in Alvin P. Seeton as a partner; after a time Mr. Seeton withdrew and Rand conducted the business alone. In 1889, he took in A. M. Jenks as a partner who retired from the firm 1912, after which he conducted the business alone until his decease.
Albert M. Jenks has been engaged as a tinsmith and in the plumbing business since 1889, for twenty-three years in company with Edson L. Rand. In 1912 he engaged in business, purchasing of E. L. Rand his interest, and a few years later he removed the same to the building he now occupies on Main Street, admitting his son Cabin L. Jenks as a partner, under the name of A. M. Jenks and Son. He also conducts a retail business in tins, stoves, ranges, farming tools, paints, varnishes, etc.
Alvin P. Seeton, after his retirement from the firm of Rand and Seeton, commenced business in the Pythian Block under the name of Goffstown Heating and Lighting Company, conducting a business which the name of the company implied, and also plumbing and repairing. After a number of years he removed to Union Market, thence to Paige Block where he remained until obliged to abandon the same on account of ill health.
Herbert J. Richards, about 1915, purchased of A. P. Seeton his stock in trade and the good-will of the business, and afterwards the building erected by Edson L. Rand on Elm Street, where he conducts the general business of a tinsmith, and also deals in tinware, stoves, ranges, pipe and plumbing materials.
BUTCHERS AND MEAT DEALERSDuring the last of the forties Thomas Richards carried on butchering business at his residence where Samuel E. Hills afterwards lived.
S. S. J. Tenney was also engaged in meat business in Goffstown at about the same time.
Eliphalet Richards, for several years foliowing 1850, was engaged in the wholesale and retail meat business.
T. W. Richards, from about 1865 to his decease, conducted a large wholesale business, supplying Manchester trade, slaughtering at the George Warren place, afterwards southerly of the depot and finally westerly of the village.
Henry H. Johnson for a number of years conducted a large wholesale business in meat, residing on the Stephen Johnson place on the Mast Road, east of the County Farm.
Andrew J. Sargent came to Goffstown from Dunbarton in 1875 and conducted a retail meat business for some years.
Henry H. Fuller and DeLafayette Robinson conducted an extensive retail meat business in the city of Manchester from Amoskeag Village, for some years preceding and after the annexation of Amoskeag to Manchester.
John and William Nelson were also engaged in the meat and butchering business in Amoskeag.
Daniel Shirley, for several years preceding his decease in 1855, did quite an extensive business in wholesaling and retailing meat in Goffstown and Manchester, slaughtering at liis farm buildings on Shirley Hill.
Alfred Smith did tanning at the Village, and part of the tannery building is now standing, where John W. Nesmith now lives.
George Henry had a tan yard at Goffstown Center, easterly of the store of William W. Hammond.
Dea. Daniel Lincoln had a tannery and bark mill on the Mystic Brook, where L. T. Barnard now lives, the traces of which are plainly visible today.
Enoch Baker made barrels where Martin V. B. Wyman now lives.
Capt. Peter E. Hadley made molasses hogsheads where Charles C. Hadley now lives, his shop standing southeasterly of the house, and William Richards carried them to Boston with his six-horse team.
Jacob Stevens had a cooper shop where Paige Richardson lived and died, on the road leading from Goffstown Village over Leach Hill.
Luther Lyman once made barrels at the Captain Richards place northwesterly of the village.
Potash was quite extensively manufactured at Parker's Village on the New Boston Road near the bridge, and thus the name of the bridge "Potash Bridge."
The blacksmith was a very essential man in the early settlement of the town as well as at all times since. The early blacksmith must be a natural mechanic; he must shoe the horse and the ox without a swing, which was a later invention; he must manufacture everything called for that could be made from iron, even to a jewsharp.
Israel Dimond early had a shop in the northwesterly part of the town, and edge tools are found even at the present time with his name marked upon them. Subsequently Ambrose Smith, Benjamin P. Manning, Perry A. Smith, Henry Sunbury, John W. Root, Emerson L. Johonnett, Joel P. Osgood and others were engaged in blacksmithing in and around Parker's Village, Samuel Stinson on Pattee Hill.
At the village Dea. Ephraim Warren, followed by his son William P. and his sons Ephraim and William C., were engaged in the work in a shop standing westerly of the residence of Jason Dearborn.
In the brick shop on Elm Street, John Sabin, Elijah Johnson, Jesse Nichols, Henry Damon, Frank T. Moore and Hamilton M. Campbell (Moore and Campbell), and Frank T. Moore are among those who have there done business.
In 1874 a blacksmith shop was erected upon the southerly side of the river near the store building of T. W. Richards and Company, and Albert Hill, William P. Stark, Putnam Jenkins, Luther Farmer, Paul and McFadden, Charles A. Holt, and Sylvanus H. Kidder have since occupied the same.
At the Center, or Grasmere, Samuel S. Weston was in the blacksmith business for many years, serving his apprenticeship with Dea. Ephraim Warren. After the completion of his trade, he established himself in business at the Center, in a shop located upon the westerly side of the highway leading from the upper to the lower village, and afterwards built the stone blacksmith shop which he occupied during his lifetime.
Henry Lancaster was also engaged in the blacksmith business at the Center, moving from Manchester in 1857.
A blacksmith shop originally stood on the Mast Road near the residence of Benjamin Cranshaw, and was occupied by one Isaac Wells, who was said to have two complete rows of teeth, both upper and under.
Samuel Austin was early in business at Goffstown Village, and afterwards removed to Amoskeag, where he died.
John Kidder was aiso engaged in the blacksmith business at Amoskeag, and afterwards returned to Pattee Hill, and had a shop near his house on the hill where Frank H. Woodman resided for some years.
Some of the other blacksmiths in town were Stephen 0. Gould, John G. Dodge, Rodney Worthley, Aaron Choate, Jeremiah W. Watson, Oliver P. Smith, Fred H. McClintock, and Herbert H. Ainsworth.
People formerly used custom-made harnesses, and for many years Stephen Blaisdell manufactured harnesses, and did repair work in a shop standing on the site of the present residence of John L. Whipple, on Elm Street. The harnesses manufactured by Stephen Blaisdeli lasted for a generation, and were excelled by none. One of the last signs of the early industries of the village read "Stephen Blaisdell, Harness, Trunk and Saddle-Maker."
Willard Atherton was another old-time harness-maker; he resided at Parker's Village, in the house now standing opposite Henry Colby's.
Fred L. Colston afterwards engaged in the same business, and was succeeded by Francis S. Dearborn.
Goffstown has always been fortunate in having residential carpenters. It has never been necessary to go out of town to find a man to frame and finish any kind of a building.
Those whose names we can gather from records and recall are Thomas Kennedy, famous for the construction and finishing of meeting-houses; Joseph D. Kennedy, Samuel Story, Jonathan Merrill, Harvey Stevens, Aaron Collins, William Merrill, John McCoy, Stephen Blaisde11, 3rd, Samuel Worthley, James S. Stevens, Harvey Stevens, William H. H. Hart, Thaddeus C. Bowers, William H. Boynton, William D. Hopkins, John Carlton, William U. Carlton, George W. Colby, James C. Brown, Abel M. Davis, Daniel J. Davis, Edward C. Bowers, Stephen Tibbets, James G. Taggart, Charles L. Davis, John H. Brown, John Vance, Warren B. Richards, Charles E. Smith, Philip H. Hart, William H. Beals, George A. McQuesten, George Hall, Frank A. Whipple, Thomas C. Taggart and Henry C. Harris.
There has been a long list of painters in town, prominent among whom are Eli P. Roberts, Luther Sargent, Alfred J. Lynch, William Merrill, Joseph Merrill, John L. Whipple, Frank B. Mills, Mason Hamilton, Joseph Carter, Ervin Moore, Charles E. Stowell, Benjamin Saulpaugh, Edwin Stokes, Herbert E. Poore, Frank C. Morgrage, Amos Neal, Frank White, Percy White, Harold Phelps, Herbert L. Barrett, Nathan Currier and Charles H. Sumner.
Among those best remembered as brick masons are Eliphalet Jones, William T. Sanford, Hibbard S. Merrill, Lewis S. Merrill, Marzella A. Merrill, Charles Morgrage, Andrew J. Morgrage, Daniel V. Morgrage, John Greer, Albert H. Jones, George L. Eaton, J. George Harvey, William Blaisdell and Henry E. Greer.
John McCoy, Joseph D. Kennedy, James S. Stevens and Abel M. Davis, in addition to being carpenters were practical millwrights, installing both saw- and grist-mills, and William D. Hopkins was a skilled workman in the installation of sawmills.
William Brown made fanning mills for a number of years on the Mast Road, where Thomas Sawyer now lives; his winnowing mills, known as the Red Mills were quite prevalent throughout Goffstown and surrounding towns.
Thomas R. Hoyt made board rules, calipers, rules for measuring contents of barrels, wood rules, yardsticks, etc.
Stephen Collins was also a skilled wood worker and mechanic, and had a shop where Daniel W. Hoit lived. His son James manufactured clocks here.
The first printing press operated in Goffstown was owned by Prof. W. C. Poland and located in the first house north of the bridge at Grasmere. He did printing with a small hand press in 1856, and for a few years thereafter.
Frank E. Paige, having successfully mastered the printer's trade when a young man, purchased an outfit and did business in Paige's Block, as did also his son Guy F. Paige. He disposed of his press to Henry R. McCartney, who operated the same in a small way during his residence in town. Herbert Richards also conducted the same business.
BOOT AND SHOEMAKERS
In old times the shoemaker with his bench and tools would travel from house to house through the town. One farmer would go after him, set him up in his kitchen and he would stay until the whole family were fitted out, and then he would journey in the same way to the next house.
James Taggart, a shoemaker, died instantaneouly at his bench, in the house where Charles Hazen now lives, having been stricken suddenly with heart failure.
Some of the shoemakers in town were Stephen Merrill, James M. Tenney, Lambert Tuttle, Elnathan Whitney, Augustus Stearns, Joshua Burns, Calvin Kidder, David Wyman, Daniel Major, Daniel Durgin, John Barr, Paige Richardson, Cyrus Hammond, Hiram L. Livingstone, Dewitt C. Tolford, Charles H. Tibbetts and Joseph Little.
Shoes were quite extensively manufactured at Amoskeag by hand from 1840 to 1853, and about this time a shoe factory was established there which remained for some years.
Parker Langmaid made woolen and felt hats at the Center, on the north bank of the Piscataquog River west of the highway, near the store of William Hammond.
Palm leaf and straw hats were extensively braided by people in and about the center of the town. Miss Hannah Flanders, afterwards Mrs. John Tewksbury, was one of the most skillful and extensive manufacturers.
Cigars were quite extensively manufactured for several years following about 1880. James Sweetser manufactured in his residence, standing upon the site of Mrs. Tarr's house.
George B. Poor in his store building, and John H. Copp in a building constructed for the purpose in the angle of the roads lending to Manchester and Dunbarton, all in the present Grasmere Village, did quite an extensive business, as also did Ervin Moore in the building now used as a paint shop on East Union Street in Goffstown Village.
JEWELLERS AND WATCHMAKERS
About 1870 Almon Lufkin moved to Goffstown from New Boston and built a shop on the southerly side of the river near the present residence of John W. Sargent, which he afterwards removed a few rods south, and was located at Carr's Corner. In this building he conducted the business of a jeweler and watchmaker until his decease in 1895, when the same was purchased by Edward P. Morgan, the building moved to northerly side of the river on Church Street, where he has since conducted business.
Charles H. Sumner occupies a store in Greene's Block, where he is engaged for a portion of the time repairing watches, clocks, etc., and also as inside decorator.
The tailor, like the shoemaker, itinerated from house to house and did tailor work for the masculine portion of the family.
At a much later period tailors carried on the business in tailor shops, the head of the firm generally doing the cutting and fitting, employing a number of seamstresses to do the needle work, which was all done by hand.
Rodney G. Stark was among the first to open a clothing and fitting establishment, and his manufactory or shop stood east of the house now owned by heirs of Mrs. Lewis Sargent.
He was followed by David S. Carr, John W. Smith, Hinckley and Richards, Henry W. Lawrence and Calvin Richards.
The baking business ass been carried on in Goffstown for a number of years by different parties; the places of business have been E. W. Goodwin's basement, Central Block and Paige Block.
Those who have continued longest in business are Leslie S. Bidwell, George Crane, W. M. Worden, Frank B. Mills, Leroy L. Hammond, Sims and Russell.
About 1865 Charles A. Whipple began barbering in addition to his mechanical pursuits. He has since been followed by Joseph Lambert, W. C. Flanders, Ira B. Bell, Edwin Brown, C. Fred Ferson, Arcel L. Blair and Arthur Forrest.
Jonathan F. Day was a marble worker in Parker's Village quite early, and his sons Alonzo C. and William B. Day both followed at different periods of their lives the same trade.
William was engaged in the manufacture of tablets and tombstones in Goffstown from about 1865 until the time of his decease.
In the last of the sixties John Small, a former resident of Goffstown, returned from Hillsborough where he had been previously engaged in the same business, and began dealing in coffins, caskets and undertaker's supplies. During the last of hia business he was located on South Mast Street. He disposed of his business to Ervin Moore who, after a short time, sold in 1887 to Arthur H. Parker, who con-ducted the same for twenty-five years, when he sold to John H. Wetherbee.
LIVERY AND SALE STABLES
Those who have conducted livery stables in Goffstown that are called to mind are Thaddeus W. Richards, Elbridge Watkins, Walter L. Sargent, George M. Story, Charles G. Barnard, Fred A. Condon, Union Market and Marshall and Company.
As previously noted for many years, even before the time of the Revolution, began the depletion of the primeval forest. The lumber business has been one of the greatest industries in the town of Goffstown, and many firms have conducted an extensive business and had an extended reputation.
Among the earliest merchants were William Parker, Eliphalet Richards, Plummer Hadley and Daniel Farmer. At the decease of William Parker, his sons--J. M, and D. A. Parker assumed the business, and conducted the same extensively, until the death of David A. Parker, a period of fifty-five years.
In the meantime David A. Parker and his son William A. conducted business as a distinct firm, and in later years Charles S. and Frank A. Parker have been actively identified with the lumber interest in Goffstown.
Capt. Eliphalet Richards did quite an extensive lumber business for one of his time, as did Plummer Hadley, and after his decease his sons George P. and William conducted the same. Alfred Story and Eliphalet Richards, under the firm name of Story and Richards, were engaged in the lumber trade for about twenty years, and Mr. Richards continued the same until his decease.
T. Russell Butterfield, Capt. Benjamin Greer, Rodney Johnson, John Greer, Alfred Poor, Eliphalet Richards, 2nd, his son, Curtis T. Richards, John G. Dodge and Charles G. Barnard (Dodge and Barnard), Benjamin F. Greer, Walter L. Sargent, John W. Hoit, Samuel M. Barnard, William S. Whipple, Eugene A. Whipple, H. Romeyn Nichols, Iru C. Merrill, Ernest A. Cilley, George A. Phelps, C. Edwin Phelps, J. Arthur Richards, T. W. Richards, Carr Brothers and Robert L. Shirley, are among those who have been engaged in the lumber business in Goffstown.
About 1870, Mr. Sylvanus D. Johnson, having a few years previously purchased a farm on Shirley Hill, realizing the fine view, the easy accessibility and the natural advantages, conceived the idea of a summer boarding-house.
From this humble beginning his trade increased each year, until it was necessary for him to increase his boarding capacity by an entire rearrangement and rebuilding. His business constantly increased until his decease in 1902, when his son Shirley M. Johnson succeeded him. Under the management of the latter, the plant has been entirely rebuilt and rearranged in the most sanitary and convenient manner, and is at present one of the largest hotels south of the white Mountains.
The advantage Mr. Johnson's patronage derives, it is needless to say, assures him a hotel full of people from the opening of the season to its close.
About 1880 Henry L. Kimball purchased the ancient Kimball homestead on the road leading from Shirley Hill to Manchester, and immediately began the summer boarding business, which proved to Mr. and Mrs. Kimball a successful enterprise. Their house was known as the "Maplewood," and under their management enjoyed a fine reputation.
In 1882 Harvey S. Scribner purchased the farm owned by Mrs. Sarah Scribner and Hannah K. Aiken, formerly known as the Abram Buzzwell place. The location of the house was such that from the same a person had a commanding view of the surrounding country. He soon opened the same for the accommodation of summer boarders, who quickly availed themselves of the opportunity to spend their vacation amid scenery only surpassed by the White Mountains. Mr. Scribner continued in business until the winter of 1889-90, when the buildings were entirely consumed by fire.
In 1885 James H. Bartlett became a resident of Goffstown, purchasing what was formerly known as the McDole farm on Shirley Hill. This proved a very attractive place for summer boarders, and is known as the "Pleasant View Farm," and is particularly mentioned under James H. Bartlett's genealogical sketch.
"The Mount Pleasant," situate one mile from Goffstown Village and having a panoramic view of the country, west, north and easterly, and of the mountains upon the south and southwesterly, renders it one of the most attractive places in New Hampshire. This house was formerly owned and conducted by Mr. and Mrs. Henry W. Merrill, and upon their decease their daughter Miss Annie Merrill assumed the management of the same, with a yearly increasing patronage.
In 1909, Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Kelley, having had previous experience in the summer boarding business in Dunbarton, purchased the "Maples" upon the southerly side of the river in Goffstown Village, formerly the residence of Col. William H. Stinson, D. Arthur Taggart and his father David M. Taggart. This place is very pleasantly located and especially accessible. The house is epen during the entire year and to summer tourists affords a very attractive resort.
Among the other places in town when summor boarders have been entertained may be mentioned Charles A. Whipple, S. S. J. Tenney, Alonzo M. Carleton, and Charles H. Hazen.
POULTRY AND HEN BUSINESS
Formerly the average farmer did not give especial heed or attention to his hens; he looked upon them as kind of a side issue, from which he would derive eggs and poultry for his table, and in addition thereto supply the country grocer in the fall of the year with a few choice, well-fattened chicks.
There was no grEat study required in the raising of this small flock, neither was it necessary to exercise any especial care, but when a poultry man or hen fancier has a flock of one thousand hens it then becomes a science, and a science which must be a study. Choice or fancy breeds of poultry first began to receive attention in Goffstown in the last of the seventies. George M. Story, Joseph S. Thompson, William H. Dubois, Frank T. Moore, were among those who were interested in pure blooded fowls. About this time an interest in the industry began to increase throughout New England, and Goffstown residents began to construct houses and invest more largely in the hen and poultry business.
Prominent among the early raisers were Ziba A. Hoit, Frank A. Stark, and Lewis H. Hoit, who maintains a flock of a thousand hens on North Mast Street; Jason P. Dearborn, Charles F. White, Edward C. Morse, South Mast Street; Benjamin F. Davis, Locust Hill; Willis T. Ryder, Church Street; Percy A. Whipple, Pattee Hill; Stanley K. Lovell, Paige Hill; James E. Holden, Mountain Road; Ralph H. Hoit, F. W. Russell and Son, Albert L. Colburn, Mast Road; Mark C. Wheeler, Pleasant Street; Fred L. Stark, Elm Street; are some of those who have been or are now raising flocks of one thousand hens annually.
FOOTNOTES1Potter's History of Manchester, p. 652 Return